Home » Reflections on my Exercise Stress Test. My Ongoing Journey with Heart Disease

Reflections on my Exercise Stress Test. My Ongoing Journey with Heart Disease

It’s done! I completed my stress test and I was more than happy to get it over with.

Prior to the test, my mind was swirling with questions. Will I be able to last as long? How will taking my beta blocker affect my total time and performance? Last year, 15 minutes into the test, my heart rate went up to 255 beats for 10 seconds. Would my heart jump up to that speed again? Would things be worse? Or would the beta blocker work to prevent the palpitations allowing me to continue to perform at a high level?

Really, I shouldn’t have expected to go as long on the test as I did last year. I’m a year older and now taking a beta blocker. A beta blocker (in my case bisoprolol) lowers the strain, or work, of your heart by reducing your heart rate, and in the one I take, it also lowers blood pressure. By lowering the blood pressure the heart has less resistance to pump the blood out against and doesn’t have to work as hard. While mainly prescribed to reduce high blood pressure, mine was prescribed to help prevent the palpitations (arrhythmia) I was getting during exercise

Scott- pills- small

To be honest, when I was getting all my tests done last year and the cardiologists prescribed the beta blocker, I was reluctant to start it. As a researcher working with patients I heard about the many unsettling side effects. Since beta blockers reduce the amount of adrenaline in the body, it can also lead to cold hands and feet, lowered sex drive, headaches and general feelings of fatigue.

The other side effect that I was concerned about was how it would affect my exercise. Since the beta blocker suppresses heart rate it can reduce heart rate elevation during exercise, resulting in a lower maximal ability for exercise. I was told by my cardiologist and my physician friends that my training and racing times would go down.

Of course I recognized the irony of hesitating to take my beta blocker while encouraging other patients to keep up with their medications. So I did start it and I’ve been taking it religiously ever since. It’s worked in stopping my palpitations while exercising, which is a big incentive for me to keep taking it. I haven’t really noticed any decrease in my performance while swimming, or other side effects. It does take me longer to warm up than before but I also feel I can train harder as I no longer have the worry of the palpitations occurring, giving me peace of mind.

Once I finally started the test, many of these questions faded into the background. That’s the good thing about exercise and how it helps refresh the mind. For the first three stages it went from a slow to a moderate walking speed. By the fourth stage (9 minutes in) the work started to kick in. I was walking briskly trying to avoid running (walking is more efficient than running so one should walk as long as possible on these tests). As each three-minute stage ended, the test technician asked me if I wanted to continue. Just before the 15 minute mark (start of the 6th stage) I told him about the arrhythmia from last year but I was okay to continue. The 6th stage started at a speed of 5 mph and 18% grade. I had to immediately start running. I kept glancing over at the ECG screen beside the treadmill to catch a glimpse of my heart rhythm. Everything looked okay. So far so good.

Scott- stress test 7- small

As the stage went on, fatigue set in. Sweat was dripping onto the electrodes, floor, everywhere. The slap of my feet on the treadmill was getting louder (note to self: don’t wear hiking shoes next time). Things were going well and I told the technician I’ve never completed the 6th stage and I wanted to try it. By this time my heart rate was in the mid-160s. My blood pressure response was fine. Once the time hit 17:30, my time from last year, I was in uncharted territory for me. I had never gone this far, this gave me a boost of confidence and I was determined to continue to the next stage.

Stage 7 started as the treadmill increased to 6 mph and 22% grade; so steep that I was hanging off the front railing as if climbing a mountain. My calves ached as did the front of my shins. My legs started to feel like jelly. Through gasps of breaths, I told the technician to get ready to stop. After 30 seconds into the stage the test stopped. The treadmill quickly powered down and I was moved to the bed beside the treadmill. No slow walking on the treadmill to cool-down as they want to see how your heart does immediately after the test.

After three and a half minutes, and two hospital towels drenched in sweat, my heart rate went down to 100 beats per minute and they let me go. I could feel my legs tighten up and wobble when I stood up. Now came the painful part; ripping off the electrodes. Despite being shaved before, it still hurt, and there were 12 of them.

The first few steps from the bed were hard, as if I just finished a marathon. I felt better after a shower, but soon a wave of fatigue hit me that continued all day. I was surprised at how drained I was and all I wanted to do was lie down and sleep. For the next few days my legs still felt sore.

A few hours later the supervising cardiologist at the test came and told me things looked pretty good. He mentioned there were some accelerated beats right at the end of the test up to 235 beats per minute (supraventricular tachycardia). He said my cardiologist will go over it with me but he didn’t think there was anything to worry about since it happened right at the end.

My time, 18:35. Better than last year, but I think this is more stubbornness than my being in better shape. Until next year…

Scott- stress test 1- small

If you like this post, don’t forget to subscribe to my blog at the bottom of the page.

Enjoy listening to podcasts? Check out my show How to Health. A podcast about you and your health.

13 responses to “Reflections on my Exercise Stress Test. My Ongoing Journey with Heart Disease”

  1. You are one of the lucky ones who isn’t affected by bisoprol. But I’m really curious about that fatigue and exhaustion in the legs you are talking about. For someone as athletic as yourself, don’t you think this is abnormal? I have the same but after every time I exercise and trying 3 different heart meds. Are you going to explore that a bit more? I would like to know as it is extremely limiting to the amount of daily exercise I can do.

    1. I’m on a low does of bisoprolol, 2.5 mg, and that might be why I have minimal side effects.. The lowest tablet size is 5 mg, so I just cut it in half and take that each morning. I start on 5 mg per day. I did notice my hands and feet getting cold, but once the summer came and I was on the lower dose I didn’t notice it as much. Now that winter is back, I notice my feet a bit colder again. And I also find it takes me longer to warm-up into my exercise (I can’t just go hard from the start anymore).

      I think my legs getting tired and aching at the end was due to normal fatigue. I’m not a runner, so my leg muscles aren’t used to running, especially on a 22% grade. I pushed myself quite hard and had a similar response the year before when I wasn’t taking the bisoprolol. I think part of it was age. As I get older, I find that I do not recover as fast from intense bouts of exercise.

      If you’re experiencing that type of fatigue every time after exercising, you might want to discuss that with your doctor, as it might be your medications.

  2. […] maximum heart rates. For this method, the person completes an exercise stress test (check out mine here) to accurately determine one’s maximal heart rate (the equation of 220 minus age can be off by 20 […]

  3. Thanks very much. I have a treadmill stress test April 29, 2019. I had a test in 2003 and got to 18% and 6 mph. Doctor said I had heart of 24 year old world class athlete. I am now 72 years old and switched from running to cycling 8 years ago. I have hit HR max of 170’s often with no ill effects but the treadmill test bothers me as I have avoided running for so long. Thanks for the video it has given me inspiration. I would like to hit 170 if possible.

    1. Hi John
      Thanks for your comment.

      Your doctor was right about your 2003 stress test. Wow, that’s incredible. I’m more of a cyclist than a runner, and more of a swimmer than a cyclist, so I get what you mean by not running. I used to run but not anymore. My legs definitely got tired but I don’t think my time was too different from when I ran. Also, when I was running, i definitely wasn’t running up an 18% grade. So it may have been a moot point for me.

      Good luck on your test!

  4. Thanks for this report.
    I only walk on treadmill was 15% but now 18% upto 4.2mph.
    I can last 30-46 mins. but if I do session in morning I am wiped out for rest of day , as you described !

    1. Wow, that’s great. 18% is pretty steep. Keep it up and thanks for the comment.

  5. After my stress test, I read one article ..this one.
    I’m reminded the Internet is 95% nothing and at least half are people wanting to read what they wrote about themselves.

    1. Thanks for reading. I hope your test went well.

  6. Phyllis Strader Avatar
    Phyllis Strader

    Why would I have legs so weak I could not walk after a thallium stress test?

    1. Doing a stress test is pretty hard. When I did mine, I was wiped out for the rest of the day. It’s a short time, but you give it a maximal effort. So I wouldn’t say you have weak legs. And with the thallium test, after they inject the tracer while you exercise, you have to keep going for another minute or so. Not easy to do.

      1. J.J. King, RPH Avatar

        I just had a stress test today. I am a 75 year old male, somewhat overweight at 230 lbs , 6′ tall. I thought the target heart rate was 145 at my age, but was told 85% of that or 123. I started with a resting rate of 82 and quickly jumped to the 123 then maxed out at 151 with a blood pressure right at 200 systolic. I had been recommended the test as I mentioned shortness of breath doing moderate yard work. I had no chest pain during the test, but was prepared to have to go the Lexiscan route due to having shin splints at times, luckily they did not occur but I could feel the work in the back of my thighs. They called the test successful at about 6 minutes, actually injecting the tracer at the 5 minute point as my heart rate and blood pressure had stabilized. I will say I was really breathing hard, but everything recovered nicely in 4-5 minutes.
        I will await the report from the cardiologist early next week. The high blood pressure is what has me concerned, I do have very mild hypertension, and have been taking Cardura 8mg qhs( started that one for BHP) and Altace 10mg qam.

      2. Thanks for sharing and sounds like you definitely reached your max. As you point out, the systolic blood pressure may be a tad high at peak exercise, but at 200 mmHg, it’s not out of the ordinary. If your diastolic BP didn’t increase much and the systolic BP came down promptly with recovery, it may not be much of a problem. But your cardiologist will be able to provide guidance.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: